Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 15:24:57 -0500
From:      mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
To:        FreeBSD Stable Listserv <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: printcap question

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 03:20:45PM -0500, Douglas G. Allen wrote:
> In conjunction with my question in the hardware list about printer compatibility, I'm wondering if I've missed something somewhere in the documentation.  Is there a setting that can go into the printcap entry for a printer that will allow you to print to a printer with a network card (EIO Card for HP printers) installed in it?  I looked, but I didn't see anything that looked like it would be exactly what I was looking to do.
>
> Example: I have several HP printers with EIO cards in them.  Each of them is set to a distinct IP address (a.b.c.d), with a mask (e.f.g.h), in the printer configuration.  For the Windows printers, you create the IP port, assign the printer to it, then print to the IP address.  I'd like to do something similar with a printcap entry and lpd and it would open up the number of printers one can easily use greatly.

 Thanks in advance for any information.

Here's the entry for my networked printer, a Brother HL-1270N,
from my /etc/printcap:

#
lp|printer line printer:\
	:sh:\
	:mx#0:\
	:rm=lp:\
	:rp=text:sd=/var/spool/output/lp:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
#

You have to be _sure_ that the queuename ("text" in my case) is
specified correctly, since prniting to a queue not known to the
printer means that the output will never print.

Would you mind hitting the <Enter> key about every 60 characters
or so, from now on? The very long lines don't wrap in my news-
reader, and it's painful to shift the window to the right to
see the tail end of a line, then all the way over for the start
of another.

Good luck with the printers!

--
Mike Andrews