Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:36:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: removing f2c from base distribution

David O'Brien wrote:
> > I was among the people that asked Steve to do the work; I'd have no
> > trouble with you doing the integration/extraction.  You might just
> > want to check that the recent alpha-related changes that were submitted
> > for f2c are covered in the portified version.
>
> This might be a good time to bring this up.
> Might we create src/opt/ where things we are used to maintaining can be
> put?  Nightly the latest src/opt/foo can be checked out and tarred up.

I agree that there is a gray area between base distribution and
ports.  Sendmail, postfix, tcl, and others fall into this gray area.
I think f2c falls into the ports catagory because it is not under
active development (although it is actively maintained) and updating
a port every few months seems reasonable.

> Alternately, I guess we could just have the code live in
> /usr/ports/lang/f2c/src/, but I don't know if Satoshi wants /usr/ports
> to expand like that.

I think that this is a Bad Idea(tm) even if Satoshi does not.  This would
still require someone looking over the GNATS database for changes to the
software, and then having someone with commit privelege willing to deal
with the PR.

Each Makefile under the ports systems contains a maintainer line.  I
do not think it unreasonable for someone to send patchs directly to the
maintainer.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu