Date:      14 Feb 1997 18:05:36 -0800
From:      jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS question, sendmail, named

In article <Pine.NEB.3.95.970214115504.4209I-100000@mail.cdsnet.net>,
Jaye Mathisen   <mrcpu@cdsnet.net> wrote:

> My understanding is that for whatever reason, sendmail 8.8.5 is in
> -current, but hasn't been tagged for RELENG_2_2.
>
> So how do I tag my CVS repository locally so that the sendmail from
> -current is in my local RELENG_2_2, such that if I check out a tree
> with tags RELENG_2_2, I get the sendmail 8.8.5?  If I then update my
> CVS tree, will it get overwritten with the 8.8.4 stuff?

Joerg already answered this.  But it's a confusing topic, so I'm
sure he won't mind if I give you more of a step-by-step answer.

The first time you check out your tree (from scratch), do this:

    cd /usr
    cvs co -P -r RELENG_2_2 src

Your whole tree is now at -2.2.  Now to switch your sendmail to
the -current version:

    cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail
    cvs update -APd

In the future when you want to do updates:

    cd /usr/src
    cvs update -Pd

Important:  Do not specify the "-r", "-D", or "-A" flag.  Your
sticky tags are already set up such that your sendmail will be
updated from -current, and the rest of your tree will be updated
from -2.2.

In the future if you decide you want to update your whole tree to
-current:

    cd /usr/src
    cvs update -APd

Or, if you want to revert your sendmail to the -2.2 version:

    cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail
    cvs update -Pd -r RELENG_2_2

The general rules of thumb:

* Only use "cvs checkout" the first time, when you're building the
tree from scratch.  After that, always use "cvs update".

* Don't use "-r <branch>" or "-D <date>" or "-A" with "cvs update",
except when you want to _change_ the version/branch that you're
keeping in your tree.

* Always use "-P" with checkout, and "-Pd" with update.

* Be sure to brush after every meal.

Oops, sorry about that last one.  Wrong set of rules ...

John