Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 04:51:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Unix Gurus shift to Microsoft (fwd)

> Amancio Hasty stands accused of saying:
> > May I ask what is so stupid about WebTv?
>
> You ask this of someone with a predisposition towards 19" screens with
> .26 or better dot pitch?  I've used computers that are designed for TV
> output (I love playing Descent on projection TV's 8), and I'm not sure
> which of the thought of trying to browse the web as it exists on a TV
> screen or considering what it will become in order to be usable on a
> TV revolts me more.

This year's WebTV isnt that important.  We have a battle going on
in the US over HDTV standards.  Microsoft now has a way of getting
an installed base of HDTV systems out using the computer industry's
preferred lower resolution non-interlaced HDTV standard ahead of
the broadcast industry's preferred interlaced standard.  Plus
another hardware platform to licence to the consumer electronics
companies that will run only MS software, and a hardware technology
to licence to the add-in video manufacturers.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936