Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 08:17:39 -0500
From:      Mark.Hummel@hurlburt.af.mil
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XConfig Help Needed

I initially tried using XFree during FreeBSD installation, but after two
failed attempts, I used XConfig and was able to get X window working.  Since
then, I've gone back into XConfig to tweak the settings (increased screen
resolution to 1024 x 768, turned off the virtual display mode, etc.)  Now I
need to increase color depth to 16 bpp from 8 bpp.  For some reason even
invoking X window with the command, startx -bpp 16 doesn't change anything;
I'm still in 256 color mode.  Is there any difference between running
XConfig and /stand/sysinstall?  Which is better (or safer)?

Mark