Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 15:52:15 +0000 ()
From:      Jeff Brand <glitch@mail.bw.lgca.ohio.gov>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hopefully a simple question

In an sh script that I'm trying to program, I would like to read a line
from a text file, get the first 'phrase' in a line (via awk) into an if
statment. If the if statement passes, I would like to redirect the 3rd
word of that line to another command (either an echo, or to execute as
its own command..)

Is there a way to do this? If this will help, the separator is ::
I have previously catted the file, and used head and tail to look through
the file, but I was hoping I could find a more efficient method.

Another possibility: Could I just put the contents of the file (very
small, about 5K, probably) into a variable (The file DOES contain
newlines.)

Thanks for any help that you can give.

--
-And remember, you are unique... Just like everybody else.
-<"Jeff Brand" glitch@mail.bw.lgca.ohio.gov>