Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:11:27 -0800
From:      Franco Gasperino <franco@icehouse.net>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, David Murphy <drjolt+freebsd-stable@redbrick.dcu.ie>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Voxware is toast. Get used to it. (Re: Suggestions for improving newpcm performance?)

Quoting Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>:

[snip]

> I've successfully done a 3.4 -> 4.0 upgrade in exactly these steps:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> reboot (single)
> cd /usr/src
> make -k installworld
> make installworld
>
> That '-k installworld' is the only "fiddly" bit.

  [snip]

  As a C programmer, and Linux user for about 5 years, im very comfortable
with my recent changes to free/open bsds. I find them very refreshing. But,
With the handbook saying to cvsup, then makeworld (which failed for me), or
the UPGRADING file saying buildworld (which worked for me and really shouldn't
be at the bottom of the file =)), then 'install kernel as usual', with that
being different on the web site than what's above, i've bombed my system.

  I'm not upset in the least, always some potholes in the road, and i'm
very impressed with what this system has done thus far compared to
any linux distro. But i believe someone needs to release a "File to end
all questions" on exactly HOW to upgrade from source. Maybe subsections
on the web site?

> Neil
> --

    Franco Gasperino