Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:36:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3 3ware controllers?

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 07:04 PM 6/21/2001 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > 2 3ware 6800's, one  7800.  The 7800 comes up (with a -stable
> >
> >There shouldn't be; if you get a command interrupt, it'll just mask them
> >off.
>

> BTW, has anyone tried / used the 3ware card in RAID5 mode with 4 disks ?
>  From what I am told, its not the most efficient to use RAID 5 on 4 disks,
> but the application its for needs a lot of storage space with more emphasis
> on reliability as opposed to speed (RAID10).

I haven't personally tried Raid 5, but all reviews I see point to fairly
bad performance.

If you want Raid 5 consider the new Adaptec IDE controller. From
benchmarks posted at www.storagereview.com it seems the adaptec is better
at Raid 5, but slightly slower in Raid 10.

You should try to find out however if this controller is supported by
FreeBSD yet.