Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:19:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        rricci@theonlynet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Full filesystems

In a previous message, Robert Ricci said:
> (Please CC: me, as I am not subscribed to this list)
>
> The other day, I accidentally filled up my /var filesystem, causing sendmail to
> start refusing connections and other fun problems. After removing a ~50MB file,
> `df` still showed the file system as being past full. Doing a `du -k` in /var
> showed that I had about 50MB used on this 100MB filesystem, but df still
> reported 100MB used. Even after killing sendmail and restarting it, it still
> believed /var was full and refused connections. Finally, I rebooted the machine,
> and everything began to function correctly. df now reports 50MB used on /var.
> Short of rebooting, what can I do to make programs recognize that the
> filesystem is no longer full?
>
> BTW: This machine is running 2.2.1: has this been fixed in a more recent
> release?

Well, there's nothing really that can be fixed. What happened was you removed
a file that was opened by an program that was running. The space of that file
is not freed until the program completes or is killed (possibly with a -HUP).

Until that happens, the file remains, though you can't see it.

--
"What did you have in mind, Sergeant?"-- Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct"