Date:      Mon, 01 Apr 2002 00:00:47 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPS time.

sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> > > Hopefully European GPS project (Galileo) will provide an alternative.
> > > It still has a long way to go though.
> >
> > Galileo strikes me as unnecessary, unless the receivers will be
> > cheaper to get the same resolution.  The 1 meter resolution seems
> > a little poor, compared to differential.
>
> Galileo may be unnecessary *if* you trust the US. As a European,
> my view of US and European politics is that they're sufficiently
> different (both in methods and goals) that I don't trust the US
> that much. Thus I think Galileo is a good thing, even if it'll be
> very expensive.

The only thing that matters is consumer pricing of the receivers,
and whether or not the resolution is high enough to keep computer
operated vehicles safely within their lane markings.

The U.S. ability to turn off the GPS isn't really the threat that
you think.  Most U.S. airports had equipment installed to broadcast
a "correction" signal for GPS, well before they turned the "wiggle"
off.  They turned it off because it was a losing proposition, and
a few meters weren't going to make that much difference to a 200
megaton device anyway.  Leaving it on only gave cruise missles a
nice target lock for transmitters at all U.S. commercial airports
that were installed to de-wiggle the signal.  8-).

If it comes down to it, the U.S. has the capability of "turning
off" Galileo, if it ever felt that it needed to do so.  8-) 8-).
So if it's being built out of distrust, well, it's already nor
getting around the problem.

-- Terry