Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 09:18:34 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
Subject:   Re: vimum striping vs concatenating.

"Christopher J. Michaels" wrote:
>Can I...
>
> Have a 15 GB vinum volume that is striped for /usr and then concatenate
> the left over on the other drives for maybe, something like /home.

Yes, but then you'd run out of room on /home and have to symlink back to
/usr or vice-versa.

> Does this make sense?  Is it even worth the bother, or would I be better
> off just concatenating the 3 drives and have one huge /usr or /usr/local?

Well, unless speed is really critical, concatenating the drives should
give you enough of a speed boost. The ffs file system (man 5 fs) tries
to spread files around on a disk anyways, in order to improve speed and
decrease FAT file system-style fragmentation. If you combine your disks
using concatenation, FreeBSD will probably distribute files among the 3
disks pretty evenly.

--
--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )