Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2017 10:57:58 +0200
From:      Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is pkg quarterly really needed?
References:  <58F61A8D.1030309@a1poweruser.com> <CALfReyctL3vTt756oyh1ZTf%2BkgpAOHwp_SUZQCFQiZDccFNMow@mail.gmail.com> <CAOjFWZ4naPVfQFEr7Hz%2B9A0_fa5O1V0H%2Butd9eMo02eHPGxehg@mail.gmail.com> <68ad0daa-b1f5-f3a6-f056-dcf2f0047d94@freebsd.org> <CAJ_iqtYCzurer52X5JVsgvDvEeuvAFRPXyYea9=6=rLcmeACsA@mail.gmail.com> <20170420060017.GG74780@home.opsec.eu> <CAJ_iqtZT9zyh-ygCXd7mjs_Gft_bWVp8%2BppvXpJ04LOi0aCwtw@mail.gmail.com>

Hi!

> >> Do they have to?
> >> Why couldn't pkg mirrors keep say, the four latest quarterly sets
> >> all the time?

> > Because the URL for the latest quarterly is one stable URL.

> Obviously this has to be changed. As I wrote:
> "No extra work involved once the setup is configured and tested".
> So yes, there is some work needed, but it would be a one-time job.

> If anyone has any real arguments as to why the FreeBSD project can't
> do it this way, let's hear them.

Lack of developer- and clusteradm-time. See my other posting.
Time deficit goes directly to the core of pkg/ports stuff, which
is, due to the complexity, limited to very few very skilled people
that happen to find time to solve the problem.

It's not a trivial problem, you can look at almost all source
code ecosystems (OSX, Microsoft, Solaris 8-}, debian, etc):
All struggle with the rate of change and the complexity of the task.

So it's not helping to yell louder at the folks working on it,
so please yell smarter 8-} Use a yelling tool like bugzilla,
and fine-tune your yelling by providing test cases and patches.

--
pi@opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         3 years to go !