Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:43:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        craig@craig.afraid.org (Craig Reyenga)
Cc:        Rob2 <rob2@pythonemproject.com>
Subject:   Re: I'm really upset with my new computer

> I've heard that Sony and Dell don't support UNIX permissions on their
> proprietary hard drives. Stick with WinXP for now until a patch is committed
> into the source tree.

That doesn't make any sense.   No hard drive vendor "supports UNIX
permissions" on their hard drives.  File permissions are completely
a software thing and have little to do with the hardware underneath
 - as long as the hardware works at all.

Now, WinXP does NOT support UNIX file permissions...
Ditch it and get a real OS!

(I have FreeBSD installed on lots of Dell machines including the
 one I am currently typing on and file permissions work just fine)

////jerry