Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 07:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/12722: New port: AT&T's DjVu library for scanned images

The following reply was made to PR ports/12722; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To: Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:29:15 -0500 (EST)

 Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami once stated:

 = * Can't you just say "make fetch" if a things is marked IS_INTERACTIVE?
 =
 =No.  Some fetches are interactive.

 I see... Time for a new variable :)

 = * =Um, can't you put the license part only in REQ? Then the script run
 = * =after it can do whatever you want it to.
 = *
 = * I can,  but the license  needs to be  accepted before the  source is
 = * extracted. Take a look for yourself...
 =
 =So REQ needs to be called before extraction.  Why is this a problem?

 One -- because it needs to be called after extraction (in post-extract).
 Two -- because it will extract the source code from itself, which is not
 what  a package  installation supposed  to do.  Three, the  license only
 needs to  be accepted by an  entity building the thing  from the source.
 That entity  (FreeBSD) is then allowed  to distribute the binary  and is
 NOT  required to  ask for  license. So  it does  not need  to be  in the
 package.

 = * =Also, I wasn't paying attention to the discussion, but what happens
 = * =when the user installs it from a package?
 = *
 = * That's the  thing. The  license allows  redistribution in  source or
 = * otherwise, even  as part  of another  product, even  for (reasonable
 = * fee) -- try to build it and read for yourself :)
 =
 =Sorry if I wasn't clear -- my question was, don't you need to display
 =the license when the user installs it from a package?

 It was me, who was not clear  :) No, this time, FreeBSD is the licensee,
 who builds the binary out of AT&T's source code and distributes the said
 binary.  The licensee  is not  required to  present the  license to  its
 users.

 =Creating a REQ file like
 =
 =#!/bin/sh
 =echo "djvu license terms"
 =echo "at&t owns this and you owe them a pat in the back"
 =echo -n "do you accept? (y/n) => "
 =read ans
 =case $ans in
 =  Yy*)
 =    exit 0
 =    ;;
 =  *)
 =    echo "oops"
 =    exit 1
 =esac
 =
 =and calling it from pre-extract will take care of both the port and the
 =package, no?

 No. This  may be put  in there for  the package, if  we feel we  must (I
 don't), but it does not help the port.

 I tried  to convince  you to take  a look yourself,  but here  is what's
 happening. The tarball consists of only 4 files:

 	ATTLICENSE ReadMe RunMe RunMe.asc

 To  get the  source, one  needs to  run RunMe,  which asks  to accept  a
 license.  Which  is  why  this  is  in  the  post-extract  target.  Upon
 acceptance, it extracts the source  code from itself and removes itself.
 Very clever. Doing this at the package install time is wrong, IMHO.

 Yours,

 	-mi