Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 23:14:34 -0700
From:      Craig Burgess <craig-burgess@home.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modula 3 "make install"

Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Craig Burgess wrote:
>
> > The point of this exercise is to install CVSup so that I can upgrade the
> > kernel and ports tree.
> >
> > Am I sol?  I should install instead the "static list?" and go from
> > there?  I also (on a different day) tried to "simply" install cvsup
> > which also failed (maybe at the same place?)...
> >
> > Any carefully explained clues would be appreciated.  I would be
> > considered, at best, a "novice" user.
>
> > ---------------------- building showheap ----------------------
> >
> > --- building in FreeBSD2 ---
> > m3 -w1 -why -O -o
> > showheap -F/var/tmp/qkzp2775
> >  -> linking showheap
> > ld: -lXaw: no match
>
> This shows that it wanted libXaw.[a or so] from /usr/X11R6/lib, but
> couldn't find it.  cvsup was trying to build itself in GUI mode, because
> it _did_ find /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a.  You have a choice, either wipe
> out your X11R6 installation (because it's missing files) or complete the
> installation.  Having half says you only have a broken one, and that
> won't do.
>
> Hint?  See /usr/ports/net/cvsup/Makefile.  Maybe read from the man page
> on make(1).  We're not unfriendly (if you make an attempt to figure it
> out yourself), so post again if you still have problems.
>
> ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
> Chuck Robey                 | (sig trimmed)
> ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------

Um.  The man page for 'make' is written in an obscure dialect of
Martian, however I uncommented the /usr/ports/net/cvsup/Makefile as --
'# To build the client without GUI support:
MAKE_ENV=       M3FLAGS=-DNOGUI'

and tried 'make install' in /usr/ports/net/cvsup once again -- with the
same results -- failed in the same place -- and that presents a
conundrum...

I didn't install XFree because the machine is a "server" (complete with
a 13" mono monitor).  Something else must have installed some X11R6
files as dependancies?  One of the reasons I installed FreeBSD was
because I could omit the superfluous XFree installation.  (The other
reason:  it would install over the Internet.)  On my desktop machine
I've installed FreeBSD 2.2.7 **with** X11R6 (and support for Linux
binaries, and KDE...)  But I've got a 17" monitor there -- and a decent
display adapter.

If I must install X11R6 so that Modula-3/cvsup can be installed, I
will;  it just seems silly because I can't realistically use it and have
no reason to try?

cheerfully,

craig burgess