Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 18:45:44 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Ed Yu <edlyu@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pthread library using KSE?

Ed Yu wrote:

> Hi, I'm intrigued by KSE and would like to write some
> program to test it. Is there a PThread library using
> KSE for scheduling?

the Kernel support for KSE treads is only partially implemented.
Ihe user library is only in initial stages of design..

Any recent talk about KSE support in the -current kernel refers to
the basic support that has been added. There is enough in the kernel
now to allow the test program in tools/KSE/ksetest to run multipe threads
at once, but that program does everyting itself without
a library and doesn't handle any of the complicated things
such as signals.

There is a paper that is currently not anywhere on the web.
It's a LITTLE out of date but the big problem is that I don't know enough about
TeX to be able to revise it properly.

If you can cope with TeX etc the source for the paper is at:
http://www.freebsd.org/~julian/freebsd_kse.tgz

I really haven't been successful in getting going all the 2034 tools needed
to produce the web-page and other forms.

Also...

look up KSE in the archives of the "arch" mailing list via the web
for more than you ever wanted to know about the evolution of FreeBSD's
kernel support for threads.