Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 19:06:39 +0000
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64-bit time_t

Brett Glass wrote:

> I believe that Linux is already moving to a 64-bit time_t.

Linux isn't exactly known for being stable or easy to develop on, and
nobody in the Linux camp has ever shown to my satisfaction that they
really appreciate things like source and binary compatibility from one
release to the next.

> The BSDs
> are behind. Maybe that's why there's resistance here (I can't figure
> out any LOGICAL reason for resisting this necessary change.)

Because you don't know what things changing it might break?

I'm just guessing but I wonder if there wouldn't be less resistance if
someone (you?) took it upon your self to setup a system, change time_t
to a 64-bit type, build-and-install the whole world, and let everyone
know how it went.

--
Kaleb S. KEITHLEY