Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:47:24 -0400
From:      Damian Gerow <damian@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Via C3 support under FreeBSD

Thus spake Damian Gerow (damian@sentex.net) [02/06/03 16:48]:
> So, in order to use & compile on the Via C3 Ezra, I need to set CPUTYPE=i586
> or CPUTYPE=i586/mmx (both seem to work) in /etc/make.conf, and I need at
> least I686_CPU in my kernel configuration file.  Seems odd to me, but at
> least it works.

I have since found out that this might be because the compiler enables
support for the CMOV instruction if CPUTYPE=i686, whereas the C3 does /not/
support CMOV (well, this core doesn't, anyhow).

Running the kernel as an i686 kernel works just fine, but compiling it
doesn't.  I've verified that using 5.1-RC1 results in the same problem.