Date:      07 Dec 2000 12:18:42 +0100
From:      Dmitry Karasik <dk@plab.ku.dk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   crypt() default behavior

Hi!

I just bumped into problem that passwords encoded on 4.2-stable
do not work on 3.2-stable. AFAIU, the problem is that crypt()
default behaviour is not to use MD5 anymore, and passwords that
are created though adduser are not recognized on older versions.
I didn't follow changes into source tree, so I don't know what
reasons were to change crypt(). From another hand, it's a hack
to patch adduser in a way it calls crypt with MD5 salt, but maybe
you have different opinion? What ( if it ever exists) should be
most elegant way to tackle this problem?

--
Sincerely,
	Dmitry

--- www.karasik.eu.org ---