Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2014 09:24:43 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Bryan Venteicher <bryanv@daemoninthecloset.org>, current@FreeBSD.org, net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dhclient sucks cpu usage...

Alexander V. Chernikov wrote this message on Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 13:17 +0400:
> On 10.06.2014 07:03, Bryan Venteicher wrote:
> >Hi,

Don't forget that it has to process the returning ack's... So, you're
looking around 10k+ pps that you have to handle and pass through the
filter...  That's a lot of packets to process...

Just for a bit more "double check", instead of using the HD as a
source, I used /dev/zero...   I ran a netstat -w 1 -I em0 when
running the test, and I was getting ~50.7MiB/s w/ dhclient running and
then I killed dhclient and it instantly jumped up to ~57.1MiB/s.. So I
launched dhclient again, and it dropped back to ~50MiB/s...

and some of this slowness is due to nc using small buffers which I will
fix shortly..

And with witness disabled it goes from 58MiB/s to 65.7MiB/s..  In
both cases, that's a 13% performance improvement by running w/o
dhclient...

This is using the latest memstick image, r266655 on a (Lenovo T61):
FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r266655: Sun May 25 18:55:02 UTC 2014
    root@grind.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
FreeBSD clang version 3.4.1 (tags/RELEASE_34/dot1-final 208032) 20140512
WARNING: WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance.
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7300  @ 2.00GHz (1995.05-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x6fb  Family=0x6  Model=0xf  Stepping=11
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0xe3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
real memory  = 2147483648 (2048 MB)
avail memory = 2014019584 (1920 MB)

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579