Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 17:05:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        tom@haven.uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Buslogic?

> On Tue, 25 Apr 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> > What???  You say this is a bt946C, but the probe is reporting an EISA card!!!
> >
> > This is wrong wrong wrong, the EISA card is a bt742, the PCI card is a
> > bt946C.  Which do you REALLY have?
>
>   I think I'm capable of telling the difference between PCI and EISA.
> And this card is most definitely not EISA.  This is most definitely a
> 946C.  Julian said in a previous message that is
> normal for 32bit EISA/PCI controllers.  Who has a EISA board
> with 14 slots anyway?

This is not normal for the 946C, mine has *never* reported to be on
the EISA bus, and has *always* reported to be at I/O address 330.

I have seen an EISA board with 14 slots.  15 actually.

I think what Julian was stating is that all 32 bit btXXX cards report:
PCI/EISA/VLB(32bit) bus

Because they all have the board ID ``E''.

> > Do you have the BIOS enabled on the bt card?    What I/O address is
> > the card set for?
>
>   The BIOS is disabled.  The card is set for e800.

BINGO... with the BIOS disabled the advanced features are disabled, thus
sync mode is disabled.  E800 is not a valid address accourding to my
946C manual, or at least not a valid I/O address. (330,334,230,234,130,134
is what it lists).

Do you have the ``Set Host Adapter I/O Port Address as Default'' set
to YES?

Also from looking in the book there is an option ``Enable Fast Transfer'',
this must be set to YES to get sync mode.

Whould you please tell me the state of jumpers JP4 and JP5.

I don't even see E800 as a valid BIOS address.