Date:      Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:04:32 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP --a question on LOCALE

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:19:53PM +0800, Li Ruijiang wrote:
> I am a chinese user,and today I upgraded my FreeBSD system from 5.3 relea=
se to 6.0
> all is successful except that I can not input chinese.
> The XIM needs two environment variables:LANG and LC_ALL
> so I export them to zh_CN.GBK in my .xinitrc file
> when the X was started I tested it using "echo $LANG"and "echo $LC_ALL".I=
 got the right response.
>=20
> But when when I type "locale", I got a response like this:
>   LANG=3Dzh_CN.GBK
>   LC_CTYPE=3D"C"
>   LC_COLLATE=3D"C"
>   LC_TIME=3D"C"
>   LC_NUMERIC=3D"C"
>   LC_MONETARY=3D"C"
>   LC_MESSAGES=3D"C"
>   LC_ALL=3Dzh_CN.GBK
>=20
>=20
> So LC_CTYPE and LC_* were not modified
>=20
> then I "export LC_CTYPE=3Dzh_CN.GBK"
> when I "echo $LC_CTYPE" it said "zh_CN.GBK"
> when I "locale" the result did not change at all.
>=20
> I have installed "localedata-5.4" and set PATH_LOCALE
> when I "locale -a"
> the result contains zh_CN.GBK
>=20
> What should I do???
> Thank you very much.

I had a few problems like this with Japanese.  Ok, you've installed
/usr/ports/misc/localedata and set your PATH_LOCALE. =20

Sometimes it seems to have to do with libc.5.so and libc.6.so

One thing I've done, but only in emergencies, and I commented it out
quickly afterwards was insert

libc.5.so	libc.6.so

at the top of /etc/libmap.conf

I didn't break anything, but it seems there is a large possibility for
breakage.

The other thing that will fix it, eventually, is as ports are upgraded,
gradually, they'll all use libc.6.so which I ~think~ will fix the
problem.  (It did for me.)

For example, I input Japanese in aterm.  If I did
ldd `which aterm`=20
I'd get back some answers showing me it used libc.5.so.  Doing
portupgrade -f aterm fixed it with that application.

The best way is probably to upgrade all ports that are used in inputting
Chinese, time consuming though it is.

--=20

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Cordelia: Oh my god! She killed him! (touches dust) Oops. My
bad. It's just dust. I forgot to clean under the rug.
Doyle: What are you trying to give me a heart attack?
Cordelia: Hey, don't blame me if he's too cheap to hire a cleaning
lady.

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62--