Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:25:38 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade to FreeBSD 4.3-RC

Hello,

I have upgraded today from some 4.2-STABLE to 4.3-RC.
I have encountered the following problems:
- First, trying reboot single user with the new kernel and modules
 (i had some modules loaded by /boot/loader.conf, namely
 vesa ipf splash and a splash bitmap) but old /boot/loader
 had problems. I could not type -s at the OK prompt. Only garbage
 appeared on the screen. I had to boot directly from the bootblocks
 to complete the installation. So the keyboard seems to have been
 completely messed up. After make installworld there is no more
 problem using the keyboard at the loader prompt.
- Second i had disabled sound in the kernel config file since it is now
 a module. However trying to cat something to /dev/audio or dsp
 or using mixer said device not configured. I have a Vibra16 and have tried
 kldloads of snd_pcm and snd_sbc in each order without any effect.
 I have recompiled a kernel with device sbc and device pcm, now everything
 is OK. From the dmesg it appears that module sbc yielded proper
 recognition of the sound card, but module pcm never attached to sbc.
 In other words the line
 pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.16 (ViBRA16X)> on sbc0
 never appeared, but the line
 sbc0: <Creative ViBRA16X> at port 0x220-0x22f,0...irq 5 drq 1,3 on isa0
 was here.

At least the first problem may be very embarassing for people.

--
Michel Talon