Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:10:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Kyle Peterson <kyle.peterson@sk.sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I need lots of help with lnc driver

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Kyle Peterson wrote:

> Hi, ok I'm hasving this very strange problem with the lnc driver.
> When I ftp a file to the machine it gets an error like "collision
> error, network settings?" (That's not the exact message, I can't
> remember it right now.). When I'm sending a file to that machine
> I'm getting around 23KB/s, but when I download off of the internet
> everything works fine.  This is a really bad problem for me
> because I have to get this server up and running as soon as
> possible.  The NIC is a integrated NetFlex-L ENET PCI.  The
> computer is a compaq prosigina 300 server, 120 pent, 80mb ram,
> onboard scsi.  Any help would be highly appriciated.  Thank you.
> Also could you reply to both the list and to my address,

I've got a similar system (an old Compaq 486-66 Prosignia VS) with
a built-in lnc adapter, but the errors I get on occasion are:

lnc0: Missed packet -- no receive buffer

These only seem to happen under high loads (such as when my backup
software is doing a backup).  Eventually, after lots and lots of
traffic (usually several days, in my case), it appears the NIC stops
working completely and you have to reboot the machine.  I just wrote
up a script that occasionally pings some of my other servers, and if
it doesn't get any replies, it reboots the machine.  A bad hack, I
know.  I'm replacing the machine soon anyway, so I haven't
particularly cared about it.  :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64 and PowerPC under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org