Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 09:00:18 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Listing slave ports

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It would be handy to have some way of obtaining or listing all the
> slave ports of a given port; for example, when a change is made to the
> code of the master requiring a PORTREVISION bump (such as the security
> patch I'm about to commit to ispell) the slaves should all have their
> PORTREVISIONS bumped also since they'll automatically pick up the
> change.  Currently the only way to find these is a cumbersome find |
> grep; I wonder if we can do better.  The obvious solution is just to
> list all of the slaves explicitly in the parent (e.g. in a comment),
> but that's open to becoming stale.  Any other ideas?

	The existing INDEX already has the requisite information, and the Makefile
target could be expanded to include more of the details that you're after.
This approach has the same tendency to become stale, but that could be
avoided by generating the INDEX more frequently. Personally I'd like to see
it generated 3 times a week.

Doug