Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 2009 18:12:41 -0700
From:      "Li, Qing" <qing.li@bluecoat.com>
To:        <lab@gta.com>, <qingli@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARP Changes

> I know that arp has changed a lot in FreeBSD 8.  I am wondering if one
> change was by design?  In older versions of FreeBSD, if you ping a =
host
> that is on a local network but is down, after a few seconds ping =
displays:
>	ping: sendto: Host is down
>	ping: sendto: Host is down

  This turned out to be a regression bug. A wrong variable is used and
  the incomplete entry was timing out too fast. So the ARP probe =
continues
  indefinitely ...
 =20

> Using arp to display the arp table shows:
>
>	host.domain (x.x.x.x) at (incomplete) on em0 [ethernet]

  I wasn't returning incomplete entries, but now I am ...

  I have a patch for both issues, but I need to clean up the code
  because that wrong variable is used elsewhere in the same module.

  I should be able to commit a permanent fix by tomorrow.

  -- Qing