Date:      Sun, 07 Sep 2014 16:22:07 -0700
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Manas Bhatnagar <b.manas.88@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to boot Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 64 bit on bhyve

Hi,

 > I am running:
 > uname -a
 > FreeBSD ****.** 10.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p7 #0: Tue Jul 8
 > 06:37:44 UTC 2014
 > root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
 > amd64
 >
 > I have followed the instructions in the handbook to successfully install
 > and run Debian 7.6.0 64 bit on the host.
 >
 > When trying to run Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 64 bit, after successfully
 > completing the installation, I run into an error where bhyve exits.
The VM
 > goes through the boot process and this is the message when it exits:
 > vm exit rdmsr 0x611, cpu 0
 >
 > Any insight on the error?

  Yes: the Ubuntu kernel is attempting to read the 'package energy
status' MSR, which is unsupported in bhyve.

  In 10-STABLE and CURRENT, there is a new option, "-w", which ignores
attempts to read/write unimplemented MSRs. The option made it into
10-STABLE on Apr 8, svn change r264273.

  You'll have to upgrade to pick up this option.

later,

Peter.