Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 19:23:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Underscore in domainname?

> Jaye Mathisen stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I'm using squid as a proxy server under FreeBSD-current, and a few of our
> > users are having trouble wiht www.mcafee.com, which is a CNAME for
> > sc_axp2.mcafee.com.
> >
> > The _ is apparently causing the problem, as other hosts with _'s kill
> > squid as well.  BIND seems to think that anybody with an _ in their name
> > is bogus, or at least, no response is ever authoritative.
>
> BIND is correct.  Underscores are illegal.  Pester McAfee's hostmaster to
> rename the machine, and suggest that they should stay current to avoid
> looking like such damn incompetents.
>
> 1/2 8)
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au             [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@gsoft.com.au            [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile)     0411-222-496   [[
> ]] realtime instrument control.         (ph)          +61-8-8267-3493   [[
> ]] Unix hardware collector.             "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

Oh, there are many incompetent people out there. Here an example about
mti.sgi.com:

hercules alf /usr/people/alf > ypcat hosts | wc -l
          1273
hercules alf /usr/people/alf > ypcat hosts | grep _ | wc -l
           827

and SGI has many, many more. :(

Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
           Alameda Networks, Inc. | http://www.Alameda.net