Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 02:10:00 -0300
From:      lioux@uol.com.br
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, lioux@linf.unb.br
Subject:   XFree 3.3.6 authentication failed?

Dear guys,

	I am running monday's current, Mesa-glx for Riva, XFree 3.3.6 and
KDE 1.1.2.  All from monday's ports tree.
	Well, I think I can't say I am running this system, for I am getting
the following message whenever I try startx:

Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

	Damn, I know this must be my mistake. However, I can't seem to get
X up. However, /stand/sysinstall -> Configure -> XFree86 -> XF86Setup
works smooth. Before you mention it: yeah, yeah, I tried startx as root
against my best judgement; and no, it did not work. :)
	UCONSOLE is enabled.
	My .xinitrc follows at the end of this file.
	What am I missing? A new authentication system? My guess. I went
through the FAQ and most of the simple docs; I must be overlooking something.
	Any and all help appreciated. Please CC: to lioux@linf.unb.br, for I
am subscribed to neither freebsd-questions nor freebsd-current.
	I apologize in advance for the CC: accross mailing lists.

	Regards,
		Mario Ferreira

ps: Please, don't flame me. /dev/null appreciates it. Thanks again.

--

#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.4 91/08/22 11:41:34 rws Exp $

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi