Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2013 15:13:07 -0500
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Release Engineering Team <re@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10.0-BETA3 now available

--QKdGvSO+nmPlgiQ/

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 12:05:13PM -0500, Glen Barber wrote:
> The third BETA build of the 10.0-RELEASE release cycle is now available
> on the FTP servers for the amd64, i386, ia64, powerpc, powerpc64 and
> sparc64 architectures.
>=20
> [...]

> Important note to freebsd-update(8) users:  Please be sure to follow the
> instructions in the EN-13:04.freebsd-update errata notice here before
> upgrading the system to 10.0-BETA3:
>=20
>   http://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories/FreeBSD-EN-13:04.freebsd-upd=
ate.asc

Additional note to freebsd-update(8) users:

It has been reported that /var/empty is removed from the system as part
of updating the system with freebsd-update(8).  Specifically, the
directory is removed after running 'freebsd-update install' to install
the userland updates (after the kernel updates are installed and
freebsd-update(8) prompts to reboot and run 'freebsd-update install'
a second time).

The cause is still not clear, but we are actively looking into the
cause.

One of the symptoms of this behavior is that daemons using /var/empty as
the home directory will not start after the userland updates are
installed.

A temporary workaround for this is to create /var/empty after the
userland updates have completed, but before the system is rebooted the
second time, for example:

    # freebsd-update -r 10.0-BETA3 upgrade
    # freebsd-update install
    # shutdown -r now
    # freebsd-update install
    # mkdir /var/empty
    # chflags schg /var/empty
    # shutdown -r now

Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused for anyone running into
this.

Glen

--QKdGvSO+nmPlgiQ/

--QKdGvSO+nmPlgiQ/--