Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 11:41:02 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Marc Dodsworth <marcd@tpg.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tftpd question

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:10:38 +1030, Marc Dodsworth wrote:

> "inetd[184]:ftp/tcp: unknown service"
>
> In my inetd.conf and services file seems to okay.

Except that you're not looking closely enough at the error message.
Whatever connection generated that error message, it was destined for
the ftp port (21) and not the tftp port (69).

When you say "seems to okay", I assume you mean that you have something
like this:

	etc/services:
	tftp	69/tcp	#Trivial File Transfer
	tftp	69/udp	#Trivial File Transfer

	/etc/inetd.conf
	tftp  dgram  udp  wait  nobody  /usr/libexec/tftpd  tftpd /tftp

Have you actually got a /tftp (or whatever name you chose for it)
directory?  Have you looked at the limitations discussed in the tftpd(8)
manual page?

Have you restarted inetd?  Is inetd being launched with the -w flag?  If
so, are you sure you're allowing tftpd access in /etc/hosts.allow?

If you're really not seeing any other useful error messages, you can try
running inetd in debugging mode (-d) and turning on logging (-l).

Ciao,
Sheldon.