Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:40:36 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Sergei Kolobov <sergei@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: alternative options for ports

--nextPart11322262.V18GU5zkoW

On Thursday 14 October 2004 11:53, Sergei Kolobov wrote:

> AFAIK, OpenBSD has a feature called "port flavours" (if I'm not mistaken).
> I confess I haven't look into it in detail (yet) but it looks like
> it does exactly what you describe. That is, the port Makefile specifies
> something like:
>
> FLAVOURS=3D gtk kde athena
>
> which produces the corresponding vim-gtk, vim-kde, and vim-athena packages
> from a *signle* port, without a need to create a multitude of slave ports.

=46LAVORS is more or less a standardized way of WITH/WITHOUT switches (i.e.=
,=20
kinda like OPTIONS). The packaging stuff comes from=20
MULTI_PACKAGES/SUBPACKAGE, but those aren't exactly magic either.

> Is there anybody working to bring this feature in our bsd.port.mk?

I really don't think we want this. It doesn't achieve anything except savin=
g a=20
few directories in cvs and on people's harddisks - the port Makefiles becom=
e=20
just as convuluted and messy as ports in our tree with lots of build option=
s=20
and you end up with multiple plist files in one port directory if you do=20
multipackages.

Slave ports are the better thing, IMHO - easier to use (just find the right=
=20
directory and type make, done - no finding out which flavors/options are=20
available and setting up some config to select them), easier to see for=20
people which port produces what package and less messy port=20
Makefiles/directories.=20

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org