Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 11:20:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Alwan <mjalwan@rma.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   current kernel won't build

To all:

I just (10/31--early AM) cvsupped current, then tried to build a kernel--any
kernel--without success.  One configuration problem I was able to fix: in
/i386/conf files.i386 the nxp.c driver library had the keyword "mandatory"
instead of "standard."  Changing it thus did away with the error message:

>i386/isa/npx.c                  standard        npx     device-driver

Another mystery that causes a non-critical error is the tag in /i386/conf
Makefile.i386 for a certain version of config:

># Which version of config(8) is required.
>%VERSREQ=       300002

The command "/usr/sbin/config GENERIC" gives this warning (but creates the
kernel build directory):

>Unknown % construct in generic makefile: %VERSREQ=      300002

But all of my sup's--I deleted and re-supped /src/sys 3 times--failed to build a
kernel with this error:

>cc -O -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs
>-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith  -nostdinc -I- -I.
>-I../.. -I../../../include -DFAILSAFE -DCOMPAT_43 -DMSDOSFS -DNFS -DFFS -DINET
>-DKERNEL -include opt_global.h -c vers.c
>isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
>isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
>isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
>isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
>isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
>isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
>isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
>isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.

I used "nm kernel" to get the symbol table from my working
kernel(970807SNAP)--no sign of the undefined symbol above:

>f01fb5b8 b _isa_devlist
>f01f3b00 D _isa_devtab_bio
>f01f3fc8 D _isa_devtab_net
>f01f4050 D _isa_devtab_null
>f01f3e74 D _isa_devtab_tty
>f01cdbe8 T _isa_dma_acquire

This is as far as I know how to go.

I'll try new kernel sources later.  Should I be discussing this on another
mailing list, or should I just keep trying until I get something that works?
Should I try to make world first?

Thanks,

Michael
E-Mail: Michael Alwan <mjalwan@rma.edu>