Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 1995 03:48:33 -0400
From:      Ken Wilcox <wilcox@math.psu.edu>
To:        Temptation <temp@temptation.interlog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Top

Temptation <temp@temptation.interlog.com> writes:

> I seen some people talking (err typing) about Top here, and problems with
> it not reporting correctly, are there commands to see memfree that work?
> and also swapfile %.  I have 256megs, and 25 meg swap, and I'm getting
> /Kernel: swap_pager: out of space
> ( yes the Kernel is set up for the memory, and /var/log/messages picks up
> the memory correctly with no errors)
> Top says I'm using 100% swap, and only 24megs.
> If it is using the swap space, is there a way to force to use the ram
> before the swap?

If I read this correctly, you are saying you have 256 Megs of physical memory
and 25 Megs of swap? Unless I am mistaken, this is your problem. FreeBSD does
demand paging, which means that when a program is run it is first loaded into
pagespace and then when it goes to start the first instruction of the
executable, it performs a page fault and loads the first page and continues on
from there. Some OS's do this in a different way where they mmap the
executable on the disk and page off of that, which is what I believe SunOS
does. Now this could all be wrong, but what I am about to say might not be.

As I explained this above, everything that you run must first find it some swap
space, meaning, you can only use as much memory as you have swap. That is why
it is a general rule, at least with what I have heard, that you have 2 1/2
times as much swap as you have memory. Now, in your case that would explain
why you have used 100% of your swap space and only 25 Megs of ram. Now, just
add 256 Megs of swap and you'll be set. You could always give me some of that
mem :)

(I am running it on 8 :( )

-Ken Wilcox