Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 20:34:20 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@hw.nl>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   xdm in /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d problem

I installed 2.2.1 and decided to put the stuff from /etc/rc.local
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d, respectively.

For the normal daemons, this works OK, but putting xdm in the X11
rc directory turned out to be a Bad Idea. What seems to happen, is
that xdm initializes and starts X, but after that, the vty's are
initilized.

The result is that I have a screen with the xdm login, but that
the keyboard thinks it's listening to a vty. I managed to login as
root and print xdm's pid to console (xconsole) and kill it, but
still no characters would appear.

About the same thing happened when I installed the splash screen.

I'm almost positive that this is a known issue, but is there a way
to get around it?

- Peter