Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 14:29:00 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Jim Dennis <jimd@mcafee.com>
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Missing Memory & shrinking drives

Jim Dennis writes:

> > > Greetings,
> > > How does FreeBSD handle the presence of the various types of viruses.
> > > Is it similar to the way NT handles them??  Are there any anti-virus
> > > utilities available for FBSD?

[ My claim that FreeBSD isn't succeptible to virus's for multiple reasons ]

> 	Mostly correct.  Note that most PC virii are not OS specific --
> 	they rely on the initial behaviour of the BIOS (these are
> 	boot sector virii; there are a few hundred of them like
> 	'Stoned' and 'Michealangelo').

True.  But I claim that 'most' is probably too strong.  Many are
Boot-sector virus's.

> 	Typically the BSV (boot sector virus) then makes itself memory
> 	resident. This part only works for DOS, since almost any 32-bit
> 	OS, from Concurrent DOS, through Linux, FreeBSD and even OS/2
> 	and NT, switch out of real mode and replace all interrupt
> 	service routines -- all hardwire drivers, with their own 32-bit
> 	code.  Note that Win '95 is vulnerable since the 32-bit GUI is
> 	still riding on top of a 16-bit OS, and still relies and *some*
> 	chunks of "real mode" code (some BIOS functions, and some "old
> 	hardware drivers").

Exactly my point.  In order to get/pass the virus your OS must allow it
to be passed on, and Unix doesn't allow this.

So, to get a boot-sector virus chances are *very* high that it came from
a DOS/Windows floppy, so you should be able to use any of the
DOS/Windows software to remove it.  If you have a DOS floppy you are
running DOS, and can run the DOS software to remove it. :)

[ Good description deleted ]

> 	So, as a practical point, there are not *unix* viruses.
>
> 	If, on the other hand, you are concerned about the possible
> 	propagation of PC viruses *from* your NFS or FTP server to
> 	other PC's --  then you might want to look at McAfee's
> 	anti-virus for Unix (available for Linux, SunOS, and Solaris --
> 	hopefully the Linux version will run O.K. under FreeBSD's
> 	"emulation").  Sad to say I haven't had time to personally
> 	test that.

Good point.

The Moral of the story is:
"Never post a small description of a problem when you know a complete
expert in the field is lurking in the wings." :)

Nate