Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:07:33 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        ben@rosengart.com, Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ?

> After my third attempt to install from CD, running out of disk space
> (without being told so) every time, I threw the CD in the bin and booted
> DOS. Where were you to tell me it's easy to install packages afterwards?
> Where were you to tell me that I could use alt-F2 though I'd need a unix

Umm, Sue, I appreciate all that you do to help newbies, but I think
you're missing a fundamental point here.  This is a volunteer project,
first and foremost, and if people really *want* some feature like this
then they simply have to implement it - neither I nor anyone else has
the time an energy to implement each and every creature comfort that
users would like to see, as much as we might like to (and the total
lack of space information in a package, especially if it's sitting at
the end of an FTP connection, makes this a little harder than most
folks would think).  If users don't implement the features they want
in a volunteer OS then they don't get them, it's just that simple.

I also know that not everyone necessarily has the ability to beat a
path towards their own personal Shangri-la, but that's what commercial
software is for - if you really need more than any free OS is able to
give you then it's probably time to reach for your wallet and PAY for
something which does.  I believe that both Solaris and SCO provide
better diagnostics for the out-of-disk space condition, as does
Windows 95 if you're on a tighter budget.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic with this message, I'm just being
factual.  Going "bitch bitch bitch stupid software bitch bitch bitch
wanted to throw the fucking CD in the trash bitch bitch bitch Win95
has this feature bitch bitch bitch" is only a good way of alienating
folks who know that this is a problem but lack the time to do much
about it.  If you want it fixed, FIX IT!  That's the lovely thing
about free software - you have that option and are always encouraged
to exercise it, no matter who you are, if it's something you really
really want.  If you're not motivated enough to gain the skills
necessary to do it, then I guess you didn't want the feature that much
after all, did ya? :-)

- Jordan