Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 08:29:08 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
To:        dmaddox@scsn.net
Cc:        Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.7 and COMPAT_43 -Reply

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Donald J. Maddox wrote:

> No, that's not what I meant.  I'm not qualified to do an in-depth anaylsis of
> NT's success; however, I _know_ that an appreciable number of people who might
> have chosen a UNIX-like OS end up giving up in frustration...  Just _installing_
> most UNIX-alikes is a daunting task for the average user, and once they _do_
> manage to get to their first login: prompt, they find themselves in a foreign
> place where the signposts are not all that obvious.  If they ask for help, they
> are likely to be greeted by RTFM and UTSL, and they often don't know what
> FM to R.
>
> Most of the 'traditionalists' would probably say that we are better off keeping
> the clueless out of the club, and maybe that's a valid point of view.  But some
> of us would like to see more commercial support for FreeBSD, and the way to get
> that is obviously to increase the user base, even if it means inviting in the
> unwashed masses.
>
> In short, I think that anything that can be done to flatten the learning
> curve, to make the install easier, to make customizing the environment easier,
> especially when it comes at no real cost (like friendlier kernel config
> files, for example) is a Good Thing, and will help us, at least a little,
> to minimize the advantage that NT has with it's familiar Windows interface,
> etc.

i don't think Windows is any easier to install/manage than FBSD.
i think the fact that most people buy their PC's with Windows
pre-installed is being forgotten.  all the avg PC users i know
couldn't install 96 or NT without tech support, and i know engineers
that diddle-daddled with NT for weeks just trying to get them to ping
each other!