Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2018 19:13:18 -0500
From:      Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>, Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bluestop.org>, freebsd-hackers Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 13-CURRENT: several GB swap being used despite plenty of free RAM

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 04:59:48PM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-11-17 at 22:52 +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > freebsd will not swap with that lots of free ram.
> > but it's 90GB free NOW, how about before?
> >

> Your information is outdated. For at least a couple years now (since
> approximately the 10.1 - 10.2 timeframe is my vague estimate), freebsd
> will page out application memory that hasn't been referenced for some
> time, even when the system has no shortage of free memory at all.

No, FreeBSD will only ever swap when there is a free page shortage.  The
difference is that we now slowly age unreferenced pages into the
inactive queue, which makes them candidates for pageout and subsequent
eviction.  With pageout_update_period=0, anonymous memory won't get
paged out unless there's a shortage of inactive pages, or an application
calls madvise(MADV_DONTNEED) on a range of memory (which moves any
backing pages to the inactive queue).