Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:58:20 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Jen and Luke <isis@servtech.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EIDE drives

Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:
>
> > Doug White wrote:

> > > There is no *explicit* support for these drives (ie, 32 bit access), but
> > > they do work as regular IDE drives.
> >
> > There *is* support for 32bit access, as well as for multiblock transfers
> > in the wdc driver. At least it does that for me (you need to enable it
> > explicitly in the configuration file by setting the correct flags
> > though).
>
> That's right -- I run my disks on multi-block mode, I should know that.
>
> Here I go trying to understand the difference between EIDE and IDE and
> screw it up massively.  :-)  Will someone please fill me in?  I don't
> consider a difference between the two.

I guess the major difference is the support of the faster transfer rates
(PIO mode 3 and 4 and the such). I remember some basic paper about the
evolution of IDE someplace. It might have been Seagate's web site or
something, but I don't remember. There was also an article in Byte about
a year ago on the subject.

I don't think FreeBSD's wdc driver uses these faster moeds, but I
haven't checked (IDE sucks anyhow).

Nadav