Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 1995 10:06:12 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Lind <john@dexter.starfire.mn.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SLIP installation w/2.0-950210-SNAP

I have been trying to coach a friend of mine (remotely) through
installing FreeBSD 2.0 via FTP and SLIP.  Things have gone just
fine up through loading the CPIO and rebooting from the hard disk,
but when it comes to the point about communicating with the modem,
we are stuck.  Cu does not succeed, and we can't find any special
instructions in the INSTALL file.  When he presses ESC at that
point in the dialog box, there's an error message that disappears
too fast to read (almost) and then it flips back to the installation
procedure and goes on as if nothing went wrong.  The error is not
recorded in the other virtual terminal.  Somehow, by multiple
attempts, perhaps, Matt found the error to be:

lock open: No such file or directory
all ports busy

We did check to see that /dev/cuaa1 got created, which it did, and
it looks correct.

Hints/helps/whatever appreciated.  Thanks!

		   John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG		USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417