Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 13:59:35 -0400
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@torrentnet.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        dchapes@ddm.on.ca, rminnich@Sarnoff.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improvemnet of ln(1).

> How on earth will issuing a diagnostic break scripts?

Consider a script that uses output of another script.  A
typical shell script that just does its job normally does not
chatter away on stderr.  If dmr & ken had wanted warnings
they would have added stdwarn [warning: that is a joke]

> How on earth will issuing a diagnostic make it harder to write
> scripts?

Because now you have to filter out (additional) noise.

> I'm *not* talking about a prompt a la cp -i.  I'm *not* talking about
> a failure a la trying to symlink over an existing file.  I'm talking
> about a diagnostic.

Understood.  I am just pointing out that *any* deviation from
existing practice can break things.