Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 12:00:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
Cc:        XFree86@XFree86.org, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp starting without reason...

To the xfree86 bug report team: I sorry to disturb you via e-mail and I
know you got a lot to read like this one, but can't find the end of my
problems, and yes, I read the FAQ and it says nothing about my problem...
See below...

To freebsd questions: this is not the first time I post a question about
my X server busting up like this, and I real sorry if I'm bugging
people...

Much more comments below...

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Capriotti wrote:

> At 06:13 PM 4/20/98 -0400, BEAUPRE Antoine wrote:
> >What is SQUID?
>

> Squid is a SW which will provide cache for your and other ppl browsing the
> internet.

Sorry for my ignorance again but what is SW and ppl?

> See if you have a file called squid.sh under /usr/local/etc/rc.d

No, I don't. The directory contains:
apache.sh
arowatch.sh
bb.sh
fingerd.sh.sample
hylafax.sh.sample
lprng.sh

> find / -name squid

There is no file named squid in all my / tree!
It's got to be something else... I feel more like it is that xinit is
trying to find the server on the remote end, instead of on this side... It
seems it can't find my own X server.

The other thing could be that the X server is found, and started but tries
to connect to another via a tcp connection, the error messages are echoed
in that way. Again, I got one screenful of messages which I will attempt
to copy here:

(please read this through, there are other comments and questions below)

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errorno = 61

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections ......
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errorno = 61
..
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errorno = 61
.._XSERVTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListener: failed to create listener for tcp

Fatal server error:
Failed to establish all listening sockets

When reporting problems related to a server crash, please send the full
server output, not just the last messages.

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't Connect: errno = 61
giving up.
xinit: connection refused (errorno 61): unable to connect to X server
xinit: no such process (errno 3): Server error.

## That's all folks!

The last 2 lines are very significant to me: "unable to connect to X
server" ... That means he was tring to connect somewhere else than here,
which is not supposed to be! Another important line is where it says it
"failed to create tcp listener". Remember that I was configuring my ppp
connection before all this went down...

This already occured one time, and I didn't find the answer... I was
forced to re-install FreeBSD... Now it happens again, when I'm about to
get over the previous disaster! I really don't know what to do since I
tought that the new installation would clear all these problems. That is:
problems whit my SoundBlaster 16 PnP card (can't find it anywhere on irq 5
thru 7), can't get a ppp connection running, got a "bombee"(for those of
you who are french: "l'ecran est rond!", it's difficult to say it in
english for me) or kind of "not square" image with my Xserver, and,
recently, no more X! (see a lot of other questions posted to
freebsd-questions... )  I wonder when all this will be over, and I wonder
if a new installatin (release 2.2.6 or 3) is worth the eternal download
time...

Thanks a lot for everything...

> >On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Capriotti wrote:
> >
> >> I just had this problem and found out that SQUID was attempting to make a
> >> connection every time the computer boots up. I removed Squid.

This problem was solved, but I don't know how (!)

## Au nom de l'etat,         ##
## La force s'appelle droit. ##
## Au main de l'individu,    ##
## Elle se nomme crime.      ##