Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2014 12:25:38 -0800
From:      aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd@fongaboo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS on Hardware RAID controller

Perfect=85=20

=85 letting ZFS do the raid-ing if you will, for you.

- aurf

"Janitorial Services"

On Feb 22, 2014, at 12:22 PM, freebsd@fongaboo.com wrote:

>=20
> So I think it's fair to say that there is some ambiguous information =
out there about the definition of JBOD.
>=20
> So, without worrying about settling the discrepency over nomenclature, =
is it correct to say that...
>=20
> If I am planning to use ZFS on a machine where the drive controller =
happens to be one that can be configured for some combination of =
HARDWARE RAID...
>=20
> I should configure it so that it does not concatenate/span/combine the =
drives in any way at the hardware level.
>=20
> I need to configure it as if it wasn't even a RAID controller, but =
rather in a configuration where the motherboard/filesystem/OS will =
initially see each physical drive as its own volume.
>=20
> TRUTH?
>=20
>=20
> Thanx
>=20
>=20
> FONG
>=20
>=20
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014, dteske@FreeBSD.org wrote:
>=20
>> Re: JBOD...
>> I think it's very telling that when Google gives you
>> the description of JBOD, it actually comes from the
>> Wikipedia, but ... it doesn't include the [misleading]
>> statement about the [optional] act of joining the
>> disks.
>> Google's Definition:
>> Just a Bunch Of Disks. A collection of hard disks that
>> aren't configured according to RAID; A hard disk
>> enclosure for several disks, especially one lacking a
>> RAID controller
>> Source: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/JBOD
>> Definition from
>> JBOD (abbreviated from "just a bunch of disks") is an
>> architecture using multiple hard drives, but not in a
>> RAID configuration, thus providing neither redundancy
>> nor performance improvements. Hard drives *may be*
>> handled independently as separate logical volumes, or
>> they *may be* combined into a single logical volume
>> using a volume manager like LVM; such [optionally
>> combined] volumes are usually called "spanned".[2]
>> I added the *'s around "may be" and also added the
>> "[optionally combined]" texts to help clarify that for
>> you. And I would go on to further say that the LVM
>> volume manager used to combine the JBOD-access
>> devices is not part of nor has any relation to said
>> JBOD access. JBOD is a means of exporting the disks
>> to the volume manager whose use is optional.
>> --=20
>> Devin
>> The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or =
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete =
the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the =
message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In =
addition, please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is =
subject to archiving and review by persons other than the intended =
recipient. Thank you.