Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:57:04 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <Malcolm.Kay@internode.on.net>
To:        Chris Pockele <chrisp@belgacom.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: floppy drive problem

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 02:38, Chris Pockele wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a 486 laptop running a FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE snapshot from
> february 4th.  Unfortunately its floppy drive is acting weird under
> FreeBSD:
>
> nomad# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt
> fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 0 of 0-3 (ST0 40<abnrml> ST1 10<data_over=
run>
> ST2 0 cyl 0 hd 0 sec 1)
> msdos: /dev/fd0a: Input/output error

/dev/fd0a tries to address a ufs (bsd) partition -- i.e it assumes you ha=
ve=20
created a ufs file system on the floppy, which is possible but unusual.

If the system is ms-dos the device should be simply /dev/fd0 or a specifi=
size with say /dev/fd0.1440

try:
nomad# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

Most of us no longer bother with mounting msdos floppy disks but instead =
use
mtools from the ports or packages.

Malcolm