Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 19:02:30 -0600
From:      Justin <freebsd-stable@ziz.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard question

This is, in fact, an issue with the way PS/2 keyboards work; I'm not sure
of all the technical details, but basically they have a timer chip in them
that is required by the motherboard to work properly; modern machines that
can run headless will redirect at an internal chip if there is no keyboard
attached, but it requires resetting the keyboard bus (i.e. rebooting) to
get it to switch from the non-keyboard to the keyboard.  A USB keyboard,
or a keyboard emulator box that will plug into the PS/2 port and act like
a keyboard until you plug a real keyboard into it, is probably your best
bet.

-Justin