Date:      Sun, 25 May 2008 10:35:24 -0400
From:      "David M. Patronis" <thenudnik@gmail.com>
To:        Desmond Chapman <que_deseja@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting and using cd-rw media from a non root account

Desmond Chapman wrote:
> I'm still stuck on the command line for this one. How do I give the user permissions and allow an application such as k3b to access the device? Any and all links to howtos or your own method is welcome.
> Thank you in advance.

My own configuration notes. Your mileage may vary : )

#How to install and configure K3b on FreeBSD 7.0

#To install the pre-compiled package (usually satisfactory) use the code
below

pkg_add -r k3b

# If the pre-compiled package is ill-suited for your system, you can try
compiling from source using the code below.

cd /usr/ports/sysutils/k3b  && make install clean

# Next, we edit configuration files in order to establish the proper
settings and permissions
# Edit /boot/loader.conf to add the following:

atapicam_enable="YES"
hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"

# Modify devfs.conf with the following lines:

own cdrom root:operator
perm cdrom 0666
link cd0 cdwriter
own cderiter root:operator
perm cdwriter 0666
own pass0 root:operator
perm pass0 0666
own xpt0 root:operator
perm xpt0 0666

# Edit /etc/rc.conf to add the following:

devd_enable="YES"

#I am told the commands below are necessary on occasion. My system seems
to work fine without them, however.

chmod 4711 /usr/local/bin/cdrecord
chmod 4711 /usr/local/bin/cdrdao