Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 16:09:39 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "pat.groce@state.sd.us" <pat.groce@state.sd.us>, "patseal@hyperhost.net" <patseal@hyperhost.net>, "sderdau@ne.mediaone.net" <sderdau@ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "pat.groce@state.sd.us" <pat.groce@state.sd.us>
Subject:   RE: unix is a problem: free bsd doesn't help

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 14:51:22 -0600, pat.groce@state.sd.us wrote:

>Its a bandwidth problem with our 4 t1's be over loaded. My godness but
>suddenly i can't do anything right.

Four big pipes won't guarantee great performance.  You may need to
investigate where the bottleneck is.  You might want to hire someone
from the freebsd community on a contract basis.

>Here, let me fall on the floor, now just kick me. Boy would i hate to be
>your dog!

You launched the first salvo, didn't you.  If you got flamed, and I
know you did, keep in mind that if you start a fight, you risk getting
a bloody nose.

If you can remove yourself from this situation emotionally, i.e., hide
your ego, you'll learn a lot from the advice buried within the flames.

And if my dog bit me... HE'D hate being my dog for awhile...

Here's a summary of the good advice:
1. When you need to recover from a hardware failure, resist the
temptation to upgrade ANYTHING in the process.
2. Whatever software you use, track it.  Test new versions, fix paks,
etc on a NON-PRODUCTION machine before installing on a production
machine.
3. Never fire a salvo at a mailing list, ask questions BEFORE you shoot
yourself in the foot.
4. Stop thinking that computers are appliances that *self-configure*.
Not everyone's environment is the same.

There may be more... Good luck.
As someone who helped roast you, let me say that if you'd like to
reconsider, you'll still find people here willing to help you work thru
your problems, if you'll stop throwing barbs and start asking
questions.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.