Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:28:17 +0200
From:      "Schofield, Robert " <R.Schofield@pbc.be.philips.com>
To:        "'freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ISDN TA --> Faster serial port...

> 	would like to take full advantage of the 128k provided
> by the ISDN
> 	line, and will require a high-speed serial card to do so.  Does
> 	anyone know of a single or dual port (please, not 4/8
> port) serial
> 	card that will support an i/o speed higher than 115k?  I have a
> 	TurboCom card that came with the TA,

A TurboCOM would have been my immediate suggestion, so no joy there then
{8^(

To be honest, I'm not sure you'd notice the difference between 115k and 128k
anyway; I went through this exercise and was disappointed in the results.
It's pretty much OS dependent anyway; the best solution I eventually came up
with was to bin the serial port TA and bought a LAN based ISDN
gateway/router. Slightly more expensive, but fast to set up, uses ethernet
(well understood and cheap), has no special serial port hardware and just
*works*.

I would sincerely hope that your TA is rate buffered (it should be; bin it
if it ain't) and that your handshaking control is hardware based and
properly functional. If so, then I would have thought it should be pretty
much sufficient for most general needs.

Rob Schofield