Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 18:49:01 +0200
From:      Pascal Gienger <pascal@uranus.factum-data.de>
To:        Christoph Weber-Fahr <listmail@helena.callcenter.systemhaus.net>
Subject:   Re: what's wrong with a1 and irq 2 ?

'`date`' ergab 'Fri Oct 09 11:00:54 MET DST 1998', als Christoph
Weber-Fahr schrieb:

> This effect is still there. I would conclude that it is not related
> to the use of IRQ 2/9 and probably caused by the high interrupt load.

Hmm... Here with my 486 DX 33 there are approx 270-300 Interrupts per
second. Not a very tough job for the CPU...

> Is Syscons particularily affected by high interrupt load ?

I am experiencing something similar: When doing fast screen switches
or scrolling operations with syscons, the isic-driver looses packets,
resulting in rerequesting TCP-Packets.
But I never got a slugghish or "slow" screen update due to isic0.
Perhaps priorities are somehow reversed in my setup?

Funny enough: With the old BISDN, excessive work with syscons did not
lead to loss of packets of the tel-driver of BISDN.

The loss of packets is only reproduced using syscons. Neither with
the VT-Emulation (pcvt) nor with graphical things like X11.

> I don't think this interrupt stuff is 'normal'. This is eating 10% of the
> computing power of a 486/50 with only one B channel used.
> On the other hand I can put the same card into a lousy 386sx/16 and
> blast 2 simultaneous IDTrans sesssions with full speed over both B
> channels under good plain old DOS. (I've done that!). There
> must be some problem in the driver somewhere, which AVM's own
> DOS CAPI driver doesn't have.

Hmm i can dial up 2 providers and do a full 7,5kbyte/sec-ftp with each
provider simultaneously without a very big noticeable machine load as
far as no "CTRL-ALT-F"-Key is pressed to switch to syscons... ;-)

Pascal
--
 _   _     |                            Pascal Gienger
|_> <_\ |_||_ - magazin für konstanz    pg@paul-magazin.de (Redaktion)
   http://www.paul-magazin.de/          Tel. 07531/52709 Fax 07531/52739